August 14, 2013

dress turned maxi skirt

I really like maxi skirts. 
A lot. 
They are wonderfully comfortable and versatile and so fun. 


My mom had a dress which she wasn't going to wear anymore so I snatched it up before it went to Goodwill. I really liked the fabric so I was determined to make something out of it for myself. Naturally, a skirt was the best option.


This is simply how I turned a dress into a maxi skirt. 


1. This particular dress had a lining, so I just top-stitched right below the waist seem to tack the exterior and the lining fabrics together.
2. Then I cut the skirt part off the bodice of the dress.
3. There was a zipper, so I removed that by taking out the seem.
4. I sewed up the opening in the side where the zipper had been.
5. I cut a length of cotton knit fabric to fit my waist tight enough to hold up a skirt like elastic would, folded it in half, sewed a seem and then folded that circle of fabric in half (seem inside) to make a waistband.
6. Placing the two raw edges and right sides of the skirt and the waistband together I stretched the waistband around the skirt and pinned it, tucking the skirt fabric evenly to fit the size of the waistband. 
7. Finally, I sewed the skirt to the waistband and it was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment